Monday, December 29, 2008

Can the AUDCAD go higher?

A few weeks ago I went long the AUDCAD with a couple of trades.  Unfortunately I did not Blog on those trades, but as I was reviewing all of my open trades this morning I figured why not Blog on the analysis I did on this trade as I worked on deciding if I should hold on to the positions or take my gains and walk away.  Stated differently: would the AUDCAD be a good buy today and can it go any higher?



The first analysis I did was on the trend line break.  As you can see from the chart above , the break is very solid, we are currently trading at around 0.8450, the take profit target of the trend line break is close to .9540 and at this point our stop loss should be around the trend line break or .8010, therefore we have a 1090 pips profit potential for a risk of 440 or a reward/risk ratio of 2.48.  This is an excellent reward/risk ratio in my book, I usually avoid any trades below 1.50 and anything above 2 I consider very good but you should definitly have you own Reward/Risk ratio rules based on your risk tolerance.  (Great topic for another post!)

My secondary analysis was on the RSI levels.  The RSI 14 is at 47.09 (Black line) and RSI 3 is at 80.77 (Blue Line).  From these numbers we can assume that the pair does still have room to go up.  The rule of thumb for RSI 14 is usually that the pair is overbought at when the RIS 14 is close to the 70 levels, which we are still far from.  For RSI 3, which I normally use when trading on shorter timeframes, we can easily go to the 90 levels and still trade higher so we do not have to worry about that one showing a sign of an overbought pair just yet.

Based on the above two trade analysis, I think the trade is safe to keep. (or enter today)  As a final analyss, I would also like to look into the Fibonacci numbers to see if I should add to my positions.  As you can see from the chart below, we've touched on the 38.2 levels twice already, I think the best entry point for additonal positions on this trade would be right above that level and eventually above the 61.8 level as well. 



To sum it all up, we have 1 trade and 2 potential trades to take on the AUDCAD. 
The current trade is a BUY@.8450.
First add-on trade is a BUY@.8495.
Second add-on trade is a BUY@.9010.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Pegasus Financial Holdings L.L.C. All Rights Reserved.

Pegasus FX

The risk of loss in online trading of stocks, options, futures, forex, foreign equities, and bonds can be substantial. Options are not suitable for all investors. Futures trading is not appropriate for all investors. Trading foreign exchange on margin carries a high level of risk as well as its own unique risk factors. Past performance is not indicative of future results.

Any opinions, news, research, analyses, prices or other information contained on this website, by FXAbyss.com, its employees, partners or contributors, is provided as general market commentary and does not constitute investment advice. FXAbyss.com will not accept liability for any loss or damage, including without limitation to, any loss of profit, which may arise directly or indirectly from use of or reliance on such information.